Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It Was Jelly Time But Now....

Sadly no, it is not peanut butter time. I am allergic to peanuts so they are not allowed in my home. Of course this presents a conundrum with kids who want peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I turned to my grocery store for a solution and found $6 Sunbutter. Six dollars. I about fell over. So I turned to the Internet and of course, it was there for me. I found it was extremely simple to make your own sunflower seed butter. All I needed was sunflower seeds and vegetable oil.

So I bought a bag of sunflower seed kernels from David's Seeds. The recipe(if you can call it that) said I needed two cups. One bag equaled two cups! I used my Cuisinart food processor to chop up the seeds. While the seeds were spinning, I added 2 tablespoons of oil. What I got was like really chunky peanut butter. So I added a third tablespoon. Big mistake, I got runny butter. Still usable but impossible to get on a knife. So I tried again and added the oil more slowly. I achieved the perfect consistency this time. Some recipes called for adding sugar but that is a no go for me. There is plenty of that in the jelly. The salt in the seeds was the perfect counterpoint to the sugar.

So as I brought up in my jelly post, the cost difference is awesome. I spent $2.50 on the bag of seeds. I got a jar of sunflower seed butter. That is definitely a whole lot better than spending $6. So go out there and make your own seed butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment